4 Ways You Can Build Pre-Reading Skills in Young Children
1. Read to your children every day!
Do you have a wiggly toddler who doesn't like to sit on your lap to listen to a story?
- Read to your child while they are in their high chair eating a snack.
- Read to your child while they are taking a bath.
- Listen to audiobooks in the car.
2. Let your babies and toddlers play with books.
Does your child have trouble turning one page at a time?
3. Call attention to words by pointing to them as you read.Pointing to the words as you ready children helps them build print concept awareness.
- This shows that we read the words and not the pictures.
- This shows that we read from top to bottom.
- This shows that we read from left to right.
- This shows that each word is separate.